Freitag, 19. August 2016

About This Blog

My name is Marcel Schumacher. I am currently enrolled to a Master's program of Computer Science at the Technical University of Munich.
This year I applied to a Google Summer of Codes (GSOC) project [1] for the organization The Honeynet Project [2] and got accepted. In this blog I will share my experience with GSOC and the work with the Open Source project and present my results.

GSOC is a project of Google, where students can apply to work on open source projects of partnering organizations over the course of 3 months. For this purpose, every accepted student is assigned at least one mentor from the corresponding organization to advise the student. With this project Google aims at helping the open source projects with the implementation of new features and introducing students to the world of open source and helping them find their way to becoming contributors to these projects.

Over the last three months I had the opportunity to be part of GSOC and work my way to develop a whole new part of the open source project Holmes Processing [3].
Holmes Processing is a tool used for large-scale analysis of malware. It consists of a distributed architecture with many different components that allow the system to scale horizontally.

My project consisted of two separate parts:
Holmes Processing was missing a common component as the interface to the outside world. Part one of my project consisted of developing Holmes Gateway. This component manages interaction with users and gives organizations the opportunity to execute analysis-tasks on the malware-samples of partnering organizations without the need of sharing the samples.

Furthermore Holmes Processing utilizes many independent services which execute the analysis tasks. Each service has a configuration-file which specifies how it ought to behave. Because of Holmes Processing's distributed nature, it is desirable to be able to configure services centrally. Part two of my project consisted of developing a system which allowed users to store service configurations in a central place and load them dynamically.

In the next blog posts I will give a more in-depth view about the two parts and my results.
[1] GSOC Project
[2] The Honeynet Project
[3] Holmes Processing

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen